Tuesday, August 07, 2007

 

Like a Broken Record

This blog has slowly shifted its theme to "Geez, am I old." (Exacerbated by the word "geez," which is unfortunately actually part of my vocabulary.)

Last night, I went out with my softball team, made up entirely of people I work with. We were supposed to have a game, but apparently Lollapalooza messed up our field. Given that we've only won 1 game all year, we decided to have a practice. All we practiced, though, was drinking. (If you're familiar with Chicago-style 16-inch softball, it's actually one of the most essential skills.)

As luck would have it, I ended up sitting directly across from a U of I student intern. Right next to me was a U of I new hire. Being an alumnus, I chatted it up with them about campus and whatnot. As we were talking, Don McLean's "American Pie" came on the radio. I asked Intern whether they still sang this song at Joe's every Thursday night. He wasn't sure (I'm guessing he doesn't frequent Joe's). Then NewHire said, "Thursday night? Isn't that 90's Night?"



There's already a 90's Night! It's been 10 years since I graduated, and I know that we had 80's Night when I was in school. I don't know why I find this so shocking. But I do. And to make matters worse, NewHire made a comment about how she "grew up" listening to that music. Uh-huh. You see, I was ALREADY grown up when it was all being written. Hell, I'd already GRADUATED before some of it even hit the airwaves.

And so the moral of the story is that I need to stop sitting next to people who are 10 years younger than me. It's just too friggin' depressing.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?