Friday, August 10, 2007

 

Continuing Progress

Yesterday was a momentous day for me. I bought pants. One of these days, I'm hoping to buy underwear too. But, that's probably just a pipe dream.

The significance of buying pants was that these pants have size 33 waists. The last time I wore 33s was about 5 years ago. I was 10 pounds heavier and I was desperately trying to wiggle my way into them in a futile effort to convince myself that I was still "thin." Once I got into them, well, there wasn't a whole lot about my lower body that people couldn't figure out from a quick glance. I distinctly remember someone commenting about me being circumsized. That's when I decided it might be a good time to move up to 34s. (Note, not once did it cross my mind to lose weight.)

Yesterday, I tipped the scales at 176.6. I'm only 1.6 pounds away from my goal for the triathlon (which is amazingly in 2 weeks!). I got dressed that morning and realized that I was basically folding the waist of my pants over to make it snug enough to wear. So I decided to do a little shopping after work.

To my surprise, I found that I actually fit in 32s! Well, kind of. My waist fits, but my abnormally large ass and thighs did not. And that's when I made one of those rare "rational" decisions. I decided I'd rather be comfortable in my clothes instead of wearing the smallest clothes I can possibly fit into. It's crazy!

I'd still like to get down to about 170, and it might even happen. At that point, I should be able to fit more comfortably in 32s. Which means I'll have a wardrobe that consists of pants with 32, 33, 34, and 36-inch waists. I'll be like Jackie Gleeson, who had 3 full wardrobes for his various levels of girth.

In other news, my training is going well. I've discovered a new way to massage the pain of my plantar fasciatis away. Wish I'd known about that 3 months ago. So now I've been able to run. And surprisingly, now that I've lost close to 25 pounds, I'm actually running FASTER. I don't get it. Don't big things always move faster? I mean, I'm not as fast as a deer. Or a car. I'm going to have to investigate this. Are there any physicists out there who can help?

The biggest stumbling block for my training right now is a wedding. One of my friends from First Grade is getting married this weekend, and I'm standing up in the wedding. That means I've got all kinds of important duties. Last night, we had the rehearsal dinner. I had to go to make sure I knew how to walk 10 steps, take someone's arm, walk 2 more steps, bow, and then sit down. Then stand. Then sit down. Then kneel. Then stand. Then kneel. Then sit down. (God, I hate Catholic mass. I'm so glad I'm now a Lutheran. Though their services are longer. I need to find a religion with services that are about 20-30 minutes. Maybe I'll just start my own.)

By the way, I'm so anal about being late for things. As we were driving over, we managed to catch 3 consecutive trains (and then a fourth a few minutes later). I was getting annoyed because I was going to be about 5 minutes late. Then The Wife pointed out that I didn't have anything to actually DO at the rehearsal. So I needed to calm down. I agreed with her. I KNEW I didn't have much to do. But I was still stressing out. It's great being anal.

So after my strenuous tasks at the rehearsal, I got rewarded with a wonderful rehearsal dinner. It was absolutely delicious. And I'm sure I gained about 5 pounds from it alone. Tonight (Friday), there's a BBQ for a bunch of the groom's friends. Let's add another 5 pounds there. Then on Saturday, there's about 10 hours of drinking and enough food to choke a horse. Another 5 pounds there. So, one weekend, 15 pounds. And this is why I'm keeping those 36-inch pants.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?