Thursday, July 26, 2007

 

What's That, Sonny?

I feel old. And every day it gets just a little worse. I think I wrote about this before, but awhile back I had lunch with some of my "peers" at work. These people are only my peers because I took about 5 years off of being an actuary. So I'm 7-8 years older than all of them. At this lunch, the topic of the A-Team came up. I had to explain to them what exactly the show was. And the longer I explained it, the more silly I sounded. ("No, seriously, every episode, they had to break Murdoch out of a mental hospital AND drug BA to get him to fly.") By the time I finished explaining the show, I was thoroughly convinced that I'd made the whole thing up. Surely, no premise as cheesy as this could make it on TV, let alone last for several years. To say nothing of being one of the highest-rated shows.

The other day, I was talking to one of my "peers." I mentioned something about Kojak and he just stared at me with a dumbfounded look on his face. Telly Savalas? Nothing. The cop with the lollipop? Nada. Who loves you baby? Nope. How about the Players Club (and the accompanying SNL skit, the Players with Yourself Club)? Uh-uh.

Sigh. I know I have a terrible habit of remembering minutia, especially as it relates to pop culture. (Mancuso, FBI anyone? Robert Loggia. "It's not about politics! It's about right and wrong!" I think it lasted 6 episodes.) But I guess if you weren't alive when it was becoming pop culture, you can't be expected to remember it. It just seems that every day, I'm reminded of just how much pop culture I've been alive for.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?