Tuesday, February 06, 2007

 

Falling Behind

Awhile ago, I promised to provide summaries of all 24 episodes. Then a funny thing happened. I got REALLY busy at work. So I had to break my promise last week. (Don’t worry, nothing much happened. Then again, a nuclear bomb went off in the prior episode. So the next one had to be a bit of a letdown.)

One nice thing about being an actuary is that the workload isn’t too high. Generally 45-50 hours a week will get the job done. Last week was a killer for me, though. I put in about 65 hours, which included nights and weekends at home.

Last week got me thinking about other jobs. Not because I hated what I was doing and wanted a new career. Rather, it was because I know that other careers expect at least that much time from you. Take lawyers, for example. I recently read that entry-level lawyers fresh out of law school can expect to make $145,000 a year at the big law firms in Chicago. Read that again. That’s a ridiculous amount of money for a 25-year-old to be making. That said, they’ll probably work about 80 hours a week and only half of them will last more than 2 years. (Note, I’m pulling a famous Dow trick, making up statistics. But since they’re in “print”, they’re believable. 84% of all people know that.)

When I was getting my MBA, I toyed with the idea of being an investment banker. They’re expected to work 80-100 hours a week. (I don’t know if that’s even physically possible.) Of course, they’re very handsomely rewarded. And if I were 25 with no family and no social life, I might have considered it. But not today. And probably not tomorrow either. I’d rather spend my free time playing Grand Theft Auto: Des Moines (due out in 2016) or training to do my first triathlon (scheduled to be completed in 2032).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?