Friday, January 05, 2007

 

Raindrops Keep Falling on These Jerks

If there’s one invariable truism about people in Chicago, it’s that when it’s raining, people slow the hell down. And I can’t for the life of me imagine why.

Today, I left work and it was raining pretty hard. I’m going to gloss over the how weird it is that it’s raining in early January for now. The first problem is that everyone is huddled outside the revolving doors, under the canopy avoiding the rain. I have no problem with people trying to avoid the rain. But they need to do us all a favor and get the hell out of the way of people coming out of the revolving doors. My favorites, though, are the people who stop RIGHT AFTER they get out of the door. It’s almost as if they forgot that the door continues to revolve after they stepped out of it.

Once I get into the rain, I keep running (literally, practically) into morons who insist on walking slow. Part of it is a physical problem. People are carrying umbrellas, so they can’t walk as close to each other. And since people are spread out more, it takes longer to get places. That’s the theory, anyway. But I left work late today. There were significantly less people on the sidewalks. And yet people are STILL walking slow.

The only answer I can think of is that they believe the urban legend that if you walk through the rain, you’ll get less wet than if you run. First of all, Mythbusters proved that it’s not true. Regardless of whether or not it’s true, the key concern is that the faster you walk, the less TIME you’re in the rain. And that’s my main concern. It’s 40 degrees out and it’s pouring rain. Get me the hell INSIDE and QUICKLY. Jerks. The whole lot of them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?