Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

It Isn’t All Roses

I’m approaching two months here at Geeks, Inc. And despite the joy I have at being here (especially when I contrast it to my time at LAF), it isn’t all roses around here. I thought I’d go through some of the serious problems I have here.

First of all, there’s the woman who shares a cubicle wall with me. I never really see this woman because we have a 6-foot wall between us. But I hear her. All the time. She’s constantly on the phone, blabbing about TV and movies and whatnot. She just won’t shut up. And she has one of those voices that just gets on your nerves for no good reason.

That said, we’ve sort of formed a bond. It turns out that she’s a fan of Lost, which I like to chat about. So we started talking about that and it turns out that she’s an even bigger fan of 24, which I think is the best show on TV nowadays. So now I have someone to chat with about my dorky TV shows. So, she’s still got an annoying voice and is on the phone way too much, but at least I have an outlet for my Jack Bauer talk.

Another problem? The coffee machine. At LAF, we had these pod-type things that made individual cups of coffee. Even better, I could get French Vanilla, my favorite. Here, all we have is plain old coffee. Can you believe it? What kind of two-bit operation are they running here? Can you believe that I’ve been relegated to drinking unflavored coffee? This is just an untolerable situation.

One of my major complaints here at Geeks, Inc. is that I have to walk by the receptionists every time I have to visit the bathroom. Since I drink a lot of coffee and a lot of water, this happens pretty often. And there’s no way around it. So the receptionists here are way too familiar with my bathroom habits.

And everyone here seems way too nice. It’s annoying. I miss the office politics and the backstabbing at LAF. At least it made the day interesting. No, instead, all I get are people saying, “thank you,” and MEANING IT! People here seem to have built up good relationships without any of the “team-building” events that we had at LAF. You know what that means? No free dinners or happy hours. Who needs them when you’ve already built a good team? And if you think I’m getting a 2-day trip to Lake Geneva, think again!

My manager here is pretty annoying too. She’s always checking in on me to make sure that I have enough work to do and that I’m getting all my training done. She’s even gone so far as to suggest ADDITIONAL training for me. I feel like telling her, “Hey lady, I’ve already got a mother AND a wife! Lay off.” Doesn’t she realize that I’d rather be bored out of my mind surfing the internet than actually doing work and learning stuff? What a bitch! And not only is she checking in on me, but she’s scheduling meetings every single week so that she can be sure we catch up with each other. The nerve!

Yep. This place is a hell-hole alright.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?