Friday, November 03, 2006

 

Home Work

Now that I’ve been out of school for six months, I’m finally getting used to the fact that I don’t have any homework to do. All of my weekends have been freed up. My nights can now be spent vegging out in front of the TV or playing video games (and yelling at Luke or The Wife for interrupting one of those activities). Lately, though, I’ve been doing a lot of home work (two words). It’s been amazingly fun and significantly more rewarding that homework.

I’ve had some well-documented mishaps, of course, but I finally feel like The Wife and I are making our house into our Home. After almost two years, we’re nearing the end of our master bathroom redo. We ripped the whole thing out, down to the studs. We suffered significant setbacks (not the least of which were a water leak that led to a hole in our ceiling and a renegade cat that caused me to rip up a newly-laid-down floor). But now we’re literally in the final phases.

Yesterday, we finished tiling the bathroom. We had finished the floor awhile ago and two weeks ago, we put up two walls in the shower. Saturday, we attempted to finish the final wall. It was all going great until I tried to drill a hole into one of the tiles for the shower head. Then the typical goofiness began.

I bought a drill bit that lets you drill a hole into ceramic tile. Then it has an attachment so you can drill a bigger hole. Well, this tool sucks. It took me about an hour and a half to get the first hole done. Not only was it a lot of labor (I was basically laying on the drill to give it enough friction), but the batteries on my drill kept dying. I have two batteries, so I was constantly charging one while I sucked the other dry. After I got the first hole finished, I worked on the bigger hole. After about 30 minutes, the drill bit broke. Great.

Unfortunately, we had to leave for a party. Actually, this is probably a fortunate thing since I would have shot myself if I had stayed. Sunday morning, I went to Home Depot and got another drill bit. While I was looking for grout sealant, I noticed that there was a different drill bit. This one looked a lot more sturdy and useful. I bought it on a whim and tried it out. Wouldn’t you know that after just 5 minutes, I’d finished drilling through the tile? It was one of those wonderful things that would have made me a lot happier if I had more holes to drill. I didn’t. And I have no intention of ever drilling holes in tile. But if you ever need to, let me know. I’ve got a great drill bit with very little wear. It works like a dream.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?