Monday, September 11, 2006

 

It’s TV Season Again!

As excited as I was about the Bears beating the Packers yesterday, I was even more excited about new episodes of The Simpsons and Family Guy. Couple that with a new episode of House last Tuesday and a new Survivor this Thursday, and I’m as content as a pig in slop. (Actually, if you’ve seen me and the current state of my house, that might be a very apt comparison.)

The Simpsons was okay yesterday, much like they have been for years now. The episodes are okay and I feel compelled to watch them, but I don’t really laugh at them and I certainly don’t remember them afterwards. Hell, I almost wish The Simpsons would go away so it would free up some of my time on Sundays. In fact, every year that The Simpsons is on TV means that the “good” episodes from the mid-1990s will show up even more infrequently in syndication. Lately, WFLD has started showing some GREAT episodes, which I’ve had to TiVo. They’re the perfect thing to watch late at night when I’m trying to fall asleep.

Family Guy has almost become like The Simpsons to me. Good, but not great. In fact, an episode of South Park has almost ruined Family Guy for me. The episode centered on how Eric Cartman wanted Fox to cancel Family Guy. The reason was that he hated the jokes they had on the show. And the jokes more or less go like this: Someone says, “That reminds me of the time when BLANK.” Then they do a cut-scene to a sight gag. Oftentimes, the jokes are interchangeable and have nothing to do with the actual episode. I knew that they did that, but it wasn’t a conscious thought. Now that it’s a conscious thought, the show seems a lot less funny. Damn you, South Park! Damn you!

House picked up right where it left off last year. Great show. The only problem now is that the last episode was all a hallucination. In the new season, House has regained full use of his crippled leg thanks to some “miracle” surgery. So now I’m thinking that all the current episodes are a hallucination. I feel like we’re being set up like when Bobby Ewing got shot in Dallas years ago. I can’t even begin to tell you how pissed off I’d be about that.

I’m still anxiously awaiting the return of 24, which won’t be coming back until January sometime. That’s a long time to wait. Lost is basically doing the same thing. They’re going to show either 3 or 6 episodes (I can’t remember) this fall and then run the rest back-to-back starting in January. I’m a big fan of the back-to-back new episodes, but it’s annoying to have to wait six months for them. I wish 24 changed its name to 48 and only took 4 weeks off. And don’t give me any nonsense about Keifer’s busy movie career. We all know that he doesn’t have one.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?