Monday, August 21, 2006

 

Dog Days of Summer

I’ve been trying to write something on my blog for awhile now and haven’t had any success. I spent awhile trying to come up with a good reason why. It might have something to do with the fact that I haven’t been doing the things I like to write about most: watching TV and movies. I can’t explain how excited I am about the upcoming TV season, if only because I’ll have something to write about.

So, lacking anything important to write about, like which Survivor REALLY deserved to get voted off, I might as well share some trivial news. For one, The Wife is pregnant with Baby #2. She’s about 3 months along now and sick as a dog. Her “morning sickness” tends to come in the form of a dry-heave/hacking sound that makes the skin crawl. And so as we were waiting to find out whether or not we were pregnant (Yes, I use “we” even though I’m not pregnant. Get off my back, you semantic-checking dork.), I heard The Wife hacking up a lung. Right then, I knew we were pregnant. I told her not to bother with the pregnancy tests (which were still days away from being “conclusive.”) Know what? I was right.

Anyway, now that we’re pregnant again, The Wife and I are having a hard time coming up with a nickname for Baby #2. If you recall, we called the then-unborn Lucas “Blasty.” One of the first phases of “life” for a fertilized egg is when it’s a blastocyst. I thought that sounded like a nice traditional Irish name, Blast O’Cyst. Luke then became Blasty (much to our mothers’ chagrin) until he was born.

So now we have to figure out what to call Baby #2. Personally, I think Blasty should be transferred over to it. It’s not like we STILL call Luke “Blasty.” The Wife, on the other hand, wants to come up with a new name. I’m having a hard time coming up with one though. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

In the meantime, I’m going to try to write about music for the rest of the summer. I’m finally plowing through the thousands of songs I’ve got on my iPod that I haven’t listened to yet. Wow, there’s a lot of crap on there. And I’m not even talking about the Debbie Gibson songs. Yes, it’s crap, but it’s also part of my 80’s collection and thus must stay on the iPod. But the “bonus” songs on Foreigner’s Definitive Greatest Hits album? Yeah, those need to go. In fact, everything on that album except “Juke Box Hero” needs to go. By the way, I think “Definitive” when used in dealing with Greatest Hits albums translates into “5 songs you want and 20 that eat it.”

Comments:
congratulations! sorry, i have very little experience in naming gestating human life forms if only to be a temporary moniker.
 
How about "Tadpole". That was my little boy throughout the womb stage and happy to to pass on the moniker to another vertebrate with a tail.

-Miller
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?