Thursday, August 31, 2006

 

Clearly, I Was On Drugs

By the way, everything I said earlier about how great it is having a child is complete nonsense. That was before Luke insisted on driving my truck every time we go out. I know what you’re thinking. It’s a bit irresponsible (even for me) to let Luke drive my truck. (Believe it or not, some woman actually let her DOG drive her car. Shockingly, it got into an accident.)

For some reason, Luke thinks it’s incredibly fun to “drive.” So he sits behind the wheel and tries to turn it side to side. He’ll even touch the gear shift (in The Wife’s car). He thinks it’s the best thing since, um, his choo-choos.

Luke and I have a routine in the morning. We go outside (he walks out himself). He runs to my truck screaming “TRUCK!” Then he’ll run over to the passenger side so I can put him in his seat. Well, now he’s breaking the routine. He’s now climbing into the front seat, hopping over my center consol and “driving.” (Note, my truck is NOT easy to get into. The floor of the truck comes up to Luke’s armpits. Yet, somehow he manages to get all 30 pounds of himself up there. The WIFE can’t always get herself into the truck, but Luke can. He’s what you might call “determined.”)

Both last night and this morning, Luke put a major hissy-fit when I took him out of the driver’s seat and put him in the child seat. The only thing I can compare it to is when Moxy managed to jump into our attic when I was working on the wiring in our master bathroom. He was not happy when I tried to get him back down. So trying to fit a 20-pound cat through a 2-foot by 2-foot square when he does NOT want to go through it is something like trying to get Luke into his car seat when he wants to drive the car.

Last night, I got many a funny look from the people in the Sam’s parking lot. I’m sure most of the looks were pitiful ones. But I also noticed that nobody told me what a great dad I was. Probably because I was about 2 millimeters away from twisting Luke’s arm right out of the socket. Or rather, HE was 2 millimeters away. And this morning, Luke almost made me late for the train because (a) he refused to get into his seat, then (b) he refused to enter the room at daycare, and then (c) he refused to let me leave once he got into the room.

So to all you parents out there who have kids that get into cars without any major fuss or muss, just wait. Now excuse me while I go punch myself in the face.

Comments:
20 minutes I sat in front of daycare trying to let him get his fill of driving and HE NEVER STOPPED. I still had to wedge him in his seat. This weekend, we get him his own steering wheel.
 
although for those on the other end of the phone during the time that he was attempting to drive.. highly entertaining.. i enjoyed the play by play.

thankfully i took him in a stroller for our afternoon adventure. i did let him drive that for awhile.. but when the "driving" consists of pushing and walking.. the interest wanes quicker.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?