Tuesday, July 11, 2006

 

This Is Scary (And I Shouldn't Be Telling The Wife)

I just stumbled across this on the internet:

Recruiting a new generation of fans
Michael Eisner's Team Baby Entertainment plans to make videos to introduce tiny tots to NASCAR, pro basketball, and Major League Baseball. Before former Disney chief Eisner bought the company last month, it focused on college sports, aiming to make boosters of children ages 6 months to 5 years. The college DVDs feature kids in football and cheerleading outfits dancing to school fight songs. "We are raising that next generation of fan," said Team Baby founder Greg Scheinman. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)

The Wife is a big University of Illinois football fan. Lord knows why. They’re absolutely terrible. But it’s fun going to games and a few years ago (when we first started dating), they went to the Sugar Bowl. We both want Luke to be an Illinois fan, but that’s mostly because it’s a state school and we want him to go there because tuition will be (relatively) cheap.

That and I want to come down to U of I every other week to tailgate. It’s a great excuse to grill and drink beer. And honestly, I look for any excuse to grill and drink beer. Now, there’s probably something wrong with me that I’m planning almost 20 years in the future. For all I know, Luke will be a janitor and he’ll be sweeping the halls of U of I, not attending classes there. (I’d still be fine with that because I could come down and tailgate.)

The other sick thing about this is that I want him to be an Illinois fan. Nobody in their right mind should be an Illinois fan. They’re horrible. And only a masochist would want his children to be Illinois fans as well. Of course, I also plan on raising Luke to be a Cubs and Bears fan, so he’s completely screwed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?