Thursday, June 01, 2006

 

Working Like a Dog

Yesterday was my indoctrination into work at LAF. I had to stay late at work and was busy all day. It was a little annoying because I had plans with the wife, but it was also a bit refreshing. It's been a LONG time since I've had a job that required so much effort from me. But I don't want to bore you with a story about work. Nobody likes work stories. No, I want to tell you another story about Rick.

Here at LAF, we use numerous computer programs. One of our vendors offered to come here on Tuesday to teach me (and another new guy) how to use one of their programs. It was mighty kind of them and I took them up on their offer. Two people showed up, a guy and a girl. They trained us and then left. I really didn't think twice about it.

Yesterday, Rick asked me, "Who was that hot blonde you were on the elevator with?" Huh? The only time I really take the elevator is when I arrive and leave work. Both times, I'm quite bleary-eyed and paying no attention to the people in the elevator. So I told Rick I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. After a little to and fro, I realized he was talking about the female vendor.

I explained to him that the training session was a service that the vendor provided to help us be more productive, blah, blah, blah. Rick asked me if she was single. WHAT? I don't know, I told him. Then he asked if I had her number. WHAT!!! Uh nope. I did have the guy's number if he wanted that. I explained that the guy was really the trainer and the woman seemed to be kinda new to the job, as if he was showing her how to do the training. He said he didn't want the number and then walked away.

(Keep in mind that he asked me this at my cube. My cube is in a six-pack with an aisle running down it. There's another six-pack on either side of me and a few offices at the end of the aisle. So, I'm guessing that about 20 people could have heard him say this.)

After about 5 minutes, Rick comes back to my cube and asks for the guy's number. Apparently, he's going to call him and try to set up a training session in the hopes that the woman will show up too. Sigh. This seems like a great use of company resources (both ours and hers) just so he can maybe meet a woman. A woman who will think he's a complete scumbag and a loser. This man has no concept of reality and I think it's only a matter of time before he's fired from this job. Other than that, he's a great guy to work with, and I'm glad LAF made him my "buddy."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?