Monday, June 12, 2006

 

Making an Impact

This was written on Thursday, June 8.

When I started working at LAF, I was told about a volunteer opportunity that was coming up in early June (which turns out to be tomorrow). Unfortunately, the deadline passed. I threw my name in the ring anyway, but was told that I wouldn't be able to volunteer because they were fully booked. I guess that's a good sign that so many people wanted to volunteer that they ran out of things for them to do. The only problem was that it was "highly encouraged" that we participate. And I wanted to get out of a day or work.

Well, my wishes came true this week. They found some other projects for us "wait-listed" people to participate in. I requested being involved with my group's project, which involves collecting shoes. Instead, I got stuck cleaning and painting some building. What the f? I don't want to clean and paint at MY house. Why on earth would I want to do it elsewhere? In fact, I'm thinking of volunteering my house for this event next year. "Yeah, there's a family out in the suburbs that desperately needs someone to clean their toilets."

The nice thing, though, is that I don't have to be at work until 9:30. And I get to wear jeans and a t-shirt. Furthermore, my bus should be back by about 3:00, so I'll actually get home early. That's a refreshing change. What's also nice is that I really don't have any work right now. So I was basically going to sit at my desk all day and pray that I found something to entertain me all day. Now it looks like I've found something. Even if it's something that I abhor, like cleaning.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?