Monday, May 01, 2006

 

Inspiration Has Struck!!!

It's been a few months since I was first asked to give the commencement speech at my graduation. Since then, I've been wracking my brain to come up with a topic, let alone a full speech to fill 5-10 minutes. Well, inspiration finally struck me today. I went from no speech to about 10 minutes of a speech. And I've only written about half of it. I'm literally giddy with excitement. My fingers are tingling. (Of course, that might have something to do with the deep-fried Twinkie I had for lunch.)

So what's the speech about? I'm not telling. Well, not until I fully flesh out the whole speech. Of course, I'll post the speech on the blog after Saturday. (Note, I won't post it before then because I don't want people watching the speech to point out all the things I screwed up.) I will give you a few hints though. The first hint is that it won't be serious. If you know me at all, this shouldn't shock you in the least.

The next hint is that I'm going to quote (at least) 4 different sources in my speech: Barbara Bush, Diane Sawyer, Jack Welch, and Office Space. (By the way, I found a great website [IMSDb.com] that has numerous movie scripts available online. It's a great resource, if, for example, you have to write a graduation speech. Just for example, of course.) My goal is to see if I can simultaneously get the students to cheer me and the parents/professors to boo me. That would really send my college career out on a high note. It might also prevent me from getting the diploma I've worked so hard for over the past 2 years, but a rousing speech like that would make it all worthwhile.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?