Monday, April 03, 2006

 

Bundle of Joy -- and Poop

Last night, The Wife and I headed over to my friends' condo in Evanston for dinner. (And yes, Scott and Cathy, you made the blog. Revel in your pseudo-celebrity.) It's nice to get out and see people as a family. Usually, it's me heading over to a friend's place or The Wife heading out by herself. (The other is no doubt babysitting.) This time, though, we lugged the little one with us.

It's a long drive from Buffalo Grove to Evanston because there aren't really any highways to take. It's not a bad drive, except when you have a bored toddler in the back seat. It took us 40 minutes to get there, which seems like nothing to me. But I remember when I was young thinking anything more than 5 minutes was too long. Honestly, it was a 15 minute drive to my high school and I felt like it was in another state. I thought we should have set up a tent on the school's property because the drive was so long. And now? I'd KILL for a 15-minute commute. (So, do you know anyone that needs killing? It'd better gaurantee me a short commute somehow....) My point is that to a 13-month-old toddler, the drive must have seemed like a cross-country trip. And when you factor in that he was wearing a winter coat in relatively warm weather (which turned out to be a blessing), he was not a happy camper.

Luke did warm up (figuratively, since he was awful warm in the car to begin with) once we got to the condo. At first, he thought Scott and Cathy were scary. And I can't say that I blame him. But, like everyone else, after he got to know them a little, well, they seemed moderately less scary. (I should point out that this isn't the first time that Luke met Scott and Cathy. But they don't leave much of an impression. Sometimes I forget that I know them, and I met Scott in 1980.) So Luke just ran all over the condo, rearranging bookshelves and eating whatever he could get his hands on. He must have gotten really comfortable there, though, because he decided to poop on their floor.

It's not like he just pulled down his pants and let go. No, Luke is getting a new tooth right now. And, as we've discovered, new teeth = diarrhea. So, he had some explosive diarrhea that managed to get all over his clothes. And on the floor. (By the way, this is why the winter coat was helpful. Luke went home in socks, a diaper, and a coat.) If Scott and Cathy were thinking about having kids before, I'm sure they're re-thinking that right now. But since Scott still owes me $5 from Super Bowl XX, over 20 years ago, I think Luke finally evened things up. Now I just need to make a list of who else owes me something so I can have my son shit on their floor.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?