Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

Built to Spill - You in Reverse

I just got Built to Spill's new album, You in Reverse. So far, it's a complete miss in my book. Too much guitar noodling. Don't know what guitar noodling is? Remember back when you were in college? There was a guy on the quad (wherever you went to school) who needed a shower and a pair of shoes. But he had a guitar. And he'd sit on the quad, just playing and playing. Not any song in particular. Just playing. And you'd walk by and think, "Jesus Christ, play SOMETHING already. And take a shower!" Well, that's guitar noodling. And when you hear it on the quad, it's not that bad. When you hear it on an album you just paid good money for, then it's a bit annoying.

Built to Spill is a hit or miss group to begin with. I knew that going in. I also knew they were into guitar noodling. But when they're "on," they're absolutely wonderful. It's still early, but I'm not impressed with You in Reverse. To be honest, I haven't been that impressed with much music lately. That might explain why I just picked up The Police's Message in a Box and a few old albums by Bruce Springsteen. I'm pretty sure there won't be much guitar noodling on those albums.

Comments:
"Built to Spill is a hit or miss group to begin with."

Both Perfect from Now On and Keep It Like a Secret are all hit, no miss. Seriously, there is not a weak song on either album.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?