Friday, April 14, 2006

 

The Best Holiday Ever

Today is the best holiday ever. No, not Good Friday, but a Traffic Holiday. I love Traffic Holidays. Traffic Holidays occur when a lot of people don't go to work, but the schmucks that do have to work enjoy much less traffic on the roads.

To be honest, I don't know why I'm working today anyway. I have no work to do. Absolutely nothing. And yet, M&S thinks they can retain me. In a funny conversation with my manager Mark, yesterday, he told me that he'd like me to stay, but that he really wanted a middle-manager first, someone who could train me. Mark is a busy guy who works ridiculously long hours. Then he tells me that he could train me. It'd just be a matter of making time for it. Ha! If you can't make time to see your family, you're not going to make time to train me. And this came just hours after Mark complained about how M&S doesn't have good technology and don't give us what we need to get our jobs done. Sign me up for a lifetime contract!

Anyway, today I hopped in the BFT to discover that the roads were pretty empty. I forget how many catholics there are in Chicago. They'd all taken today off, freeing up my commute. (Are there other Christian sects that have to go to church on Good Friday? I have no clue. I'm not even positive catholics have to go to church. But if there's one thing I've learned about catholics, it's that they always have to go to church.)

What's annoying is that my commute was basically the exact same time as usual. This is one of the joys of driving along surface roads the whole way to work (about 10 miles). I'm going to catch the same stoplights no matter how many people are on the road. But at least I had room to stretch out. I felt like Elaine in that Seinfeld episode where Kramer makes "luxury" car lanes that are twice the width of normal lanes.

This is where my thoughts turn macabre. All I could think of when I was cruising down the road today was how nice it would be if there were about half as many people in the world. Then I'd be able to enjoy my commute so much more. And I'm willing to sacrifice half the population to make my drive to work moderately more enjoyable.

Comments:
There is nothing nicer than a good commute.

And that is why I love my daily 4 block walk to work.

Love it.
 
i love easter weekend. it has the best traffic ever. nobody goes anywhere. or lots of people leave town. either way... friday, at 4:28 i got in my car. at 5:07 i was at my brother's place.

we're talking downtown arlington heights, il, to the ogden exit of I-90.

it was impressive
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?