Monday, March 06, 2006

 

The Stakes Have Been Raised

If you're a fan of 24 and you haven't seen this week's episode yet, just stop reading. Plenty of spoilers in here.

Today on Fox, they aired 2 episodes of 24 back-to-back. That's about 1 hour too much. It's taken me the better part of an hour to calm down after what I saw. It's also taken me some time to recover from the realization that I'm one sick bastard. Allow me to explain.

Tonight's episodes featured the triumphant return on Kim Bauer, played by the inimitable Elisha Cuthbert. Hubba hubba. Kim is an idiot. I don't have the patience to list the stupid things she's done on 24. She single-handedly tried to ruin the show. Trust me. Well, now she's back because Jack (her father) has to tell he's still alive. At least, for now. Because at the end of the "day," he's supposed to disappear again. Make sense? Didn't think so.

Anyway, the plot this season revolves around some pissed-off Russian Separist terrorists. (Personally, I think that if terrorists weren't always so pissed-off, the world would be a much better place. But then 24 would suck. I digress.) These terrorists got their hands on some Nerve Gas. Bad stuff. And they want to use it on US citizens because the President of the US didn't follow through on his deal to let the terrorists assassinate the Russian premier, even though they hit his limo with a rocket launcher. (You know, this show seems a bit far-fetched when you actually type it up.)

On today's episodes, the terrorists try to release the Nerve Gas in a hospital. CTU (the Counter-Terrorism Unit, of course) manages to get to the Gas in time and thwart the attack. It was actually quite stressful to watch. And the reason is because with most shows, you know they're going to stop the attack. That's what the good guys do. But that's not what 24 does. Sometimes they stop it. Sometimes an entire hotel (with prominent CTU agents inside) gets infected with a Nerve Gas (a la Season 3).

Well, it happened again. First of all, somebody snuck into CTU to plant some Nerve Gas in their headquarters. Oh shit. Being the top-notch investigators that they are, CTU discovers that somebody snuck in. So they hunt him down. Literally. Jack Bauer kills him. Then they discover the nerve gas. But there's only a minute left to disarm it. That ain't gonna happen. So they start evacuating. Surely, they'll get out on time. Um, maybe not.

Now, what makes me a bad person is that the entire time, I'm actually HOPING for the gas to go off. I WANT some of these people to die. Knowing the bomb was planted, I started thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if Kim dies? Or what about uber-dork Edgar?" I just wanted 24 to continue offing it's stars. Well, they didn't disappoint.

As the stars of the show start heading for the door, the gas starts to disperse. Before you know it, people are dropping dead. One of the computer geeks manages to get all of the stars into a sealed room. But wait, one of them is missing. It's Edgar, the big, fat, lispy computer geek. (Who also played a big, fat, lispy FBI agent on The Sopranos. Read more about him here.) He comes running out of nowhere and sees everyone in the sealed room. He gets that look on his face that says, "Shit, I've just been written out of a steady paycheck. Now I have to be a big, fat, lispy unemployed actor." Everyone watches Edgar's rather unceremonious death. And the 24 clock ticks on silenty to end the show.

BRAVO 24! Great show. And now, two hours after watching it, I think I can finally go to bed. And dream about terrorists releasing some Nerve Gas during my Investment Banking midterm tomorrow. Ah, sweet relief.

Comments:
dow - have you fallen off the 24 wagon? i used to be able to count on you for such great technical insight on previous episodes. you were the only person i trusted who actually watched this show, side by side, with ME (if only in spirit - you on your couch, me on mine). Where is the love? Am i the only watcher left? Am I the last man to defend the ridiculous nature of jack's exploits to my disbelieving wife?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?