Monday, March 06, 2006

 

Night Moves

For some reason, I've never really thought of listening to Bob Seger. I've heard just about all his songs and I like them. But it never once occurred to me that I might want to actually listen to one of his albums, let alone purchase one. Well, I just got Night Moves, and it's a rather solid album.

In my youth (roughly junior high through high school), I listened to a lot of classic rock. WCKG in Chicago was the classic rock station. Lots of Skynard, Zeppelin, and yes, Bob Seger. (For the record, I've never listened to a Skynard album either, and I really don't much care to either. But that's a discussion for another day.)

Bob Seger has plenty of great songs, like "Rock and Roll Never Forgets," "Night Moves," and "Old Time Rock and Roll," to name just a few. These aren't just good songs, but GREAT ones. And it wasn't until I started looking into Bob Seger that I realized just how many great songs he wrote. He's almost like Kenny Loggins or George Michael that way. Yeah, the general consensus is that they're terrible musicians. But damn, they had some good songs. Hell, if it weren't for Kenny Loggins, Footloose would have just been a stupid movie about dancing. Kenny Loggins made it a stupid movie about dancing with a great title song!

Now, Bob Seger is no Kenny Loggins. Make no mistake about that. (Honestly, who can be favorably compared to Kenny Loggins? Nobody I can think of.) But Night Moves is a pretty good album. And Stranger in Town isn't too shabby either. It holds up pretty well after almost 30 years. Of course, this is coming from a guy who listened to classic rock religiously for 6 years or so and kept wondering why they didn't play new classic rock.

Comments:
"Hollywood Nights" is a really rockin song.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?