Tuesday, March 28, 2006

 

Interview Aftermath

On Friday, I had an interview with LAF. It went pretty well, I think. I don't know. I can never tell how an interview went. Unless they get down on their knees and beg me to work there, I'll leave thinking, "That could go either way." In fact, if they did get on their knees and beg, I'd probably think it was just an elaborate ruse to make me think I was getting the job. Then Ashton Kutcher would walk in and tell me that I got Punk'd. Yeah, cuz I heard that Kutcher was going to start Punking no-talent grad school morons. That'll really bring in viewers.

Anyway, LAF told me some really interesting things. Mainly, they told me that I could do the same thing as I do at M&S right now. (Theoretically anyway. They don't really have any work for me. How does that keep happening by the way? It seems like everywhere I go, they're in desperate need for an employee. Then I get there and do a couple of things. Then they realize they don't really have much need for an employee after all. And yet these companies somehow make money. Although I got some inside information that M&S is having problems paying the bills right now. Probably because they're paying me $20 an hour to play SuDoku on the web.)

Back to my point. (I really have to avoid those long parentheticals.) The work at LAF would be similar to M&S, but a lot more interesting. First of all, the clients I have at M&S are tiny. We charge these clients about $5000 per project. (Again, and they're having a hard time paying the bills? Huh!) At LAF, they deal with Fortune 100 companies. Their fees? Oh, about 100 times what M&S charges. Plus, the work is a lot more interesting because of the nature of the companies.

And the best part? LAF has an actuarial practice in Chicago. Not only that, but the valuation group (where I'd be working) uses the actuaries quite a lot to do some valuations. One of the guys I interviewed with told me that he'd really like to have me on board to help do some of that work. (I joked with him that he really only wanted me to translate between the actuaries and the business valuation people.) Another guy told me that LAF would probably pay my back dues on my actuarial accreditations. So, in other words, it could be that all those years I spent taking actuarial exams won't be a complete waste. I don't know if I've ever typed words that made me happier than those.

All this said, I'm pretty sure I won't get the job. Why? Because I'd be too happy if I got it. And life hasn't been working that way for me lately. (Yeah, I know, I have the worst life. And Luke is the worst child too, what with all the smiles and laughs. I might as well just move to Afghanistan or something. Anyway.) I'm supposed to hear something by the end of the week. Hopefully, Rick (formerly of M&S, currently at LAF) will put in a few good words for me and help me secure the job. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?