Monday, February 13, 2006

 

M&S Revisited

Last year, I had an internship doing business valuations for a small, small, small company, who I'll refer to as M&S. There were 10 people in the office (though a few were always on the road). It was run by a guy named John. Under him, there were 2 Ricks, who I affectionately referred to as Rick and Prick. ("Prick", by the way, is short for "Polish Rick," but it works just as well by itself.) In May, John left and took all the clients with him. Since M&S had no work for me, I left in June. Well, now they're asking me to come back and be an intern for them again. And I don't know what to do.

On the plus side, I'd have a job. I haven't had one in 9 months. And it's driving me crazy. I'm not meant to stay at home. Mostly because I'm not good at keeping the house clean. But also because I love being around people. It's how I "recharge." Staying at home just drives me nuts. Not that I don't love spending time with my son. I just wish I didn't have to do it so much.

That said, I think I'd rather spend every hour of every day for the rest of my life with my son rather than work with Rick and Prick again. Rick is a racist with an anger-management problem. Prick is a moron who can't stop talking. He's one of those guys that literally doesn't know when the conversation ended. There were several times I was talking to him that I would just turn my back and start working on my computer, and Prick would just keep on talking.

The problem is that I don't know if Rick and Prick are still there. Apparently, the office is under "new management." I need to find out what exactly that means. Because if one or more of the Ricks are gone, it might not be a bad place to work.

Another problem is that it doesn't pay very well. Last time, I got paid $10 an hour. Which is about how much we paid daycare to watch Luke while I was working. So basically, I was working for nothing. When I left in June, I was promised $15 an hour (with no work to do, which might explain why they have new management). If I can get $15-20 an hour, it might be worth it. But only barely.

There are several other reasons to work there. I'd be hooked up to a computer all day. (Not literally, of course. Weirdo.) Given their office setup, I'd be able to get a lot of school work done while I'm supposed to be doing office work. Probably more work than I'm able to get at home with Luke pestering me all day. Then again, I'd get to watch a lot less of The Price is Right. Although now that we have TiVo, that problem can be remedied.

I think the biggest reason I'm thinking about going back there is because I'm worried about finding a job when I graduate. And I know that they'd let me keep interning there after I graduate. That's a sort of insurance that would help me sleep at night. The big concern would be whether they'd let me miss work to go on interviews. Given their lax attitudes last time I worked there, I don't think this will be a problem.

One of the other advantages is that I'd have a normal schedule again. Like I mentioned in my last post, I have a little OCD problem. Or as my friend in Worcester, MA (I think I'll call her The Wooster) says, I might have OCPD (where the "P" stands for "Personality"). (By the way, Wooster, I was joking about having OCD. But now you make me think I have OCPD. This is not going to help me in any way.) My point is that it drives me nuts when I don't have a schedule in my life. Not that I necessarily have to follow the schedule. But I like knowing that I have to wake up at 7:00, be out the door at 8:00, start working at 8:30, hate myself until 5:00, and then go home.

And the final advantage to working at M&S? I'd be able to write my blog a whole lot more. Of course, most of my posts would be about the annoying things that Rick and/or Prick have done. But that's high comedy. And I don't see how I can possibly pass on that.

So, in short, it looks like I've just talked myself into working at M&S again. I have to check on the Rick/Prick situation, the hours I'm expected to work, the pay rate, and the flexibility on interviewing. But I think I might be able to work something out. And I'm sure I'll hate my job within the first 2 weeks and want to quit. Finally, I'll feel like an adult again.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?