Wednesday, January 11, 2006

 

I'm Such a Dork

My first week of class is over. I only need 2 classes to graduate. Unfortunately, my scholarship requires that I take at least 3 classes. I was not happy about this development. I was really looking forward to taking it easy this semester and devoting my time to finding a job (or playing video games).

I finally accepted having to take 3 classes. At registration, I tried to pick out 3, but I was interested in way too many. So I signed up for something like 6 classes. I figured I'd go to the first day of class for all of them and see which ones I liked most. As one of my professors described it, I was "shopping" for the right classes. The question was which classes do I drop so that I'm only taking 3 classes.

I whittled the list down to 4 classes, 2 on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. My plan was to take 1 class during the day (on either Monday or Tuesday) and two classes in the evening. Complicating this is Luke and daycare. I figured I'd have him in daycare for the one day I was in class and then one other day during the week so I could get homework done and search for a job. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. Instead, I'm taking all 4 classes. And I can't think of a single one I want to drop because they all seem so interesting. God, I'm such a dork.

Class 1 is a portfolio management class. We get to do simulated trading and put together an investment portfolio. We also get to make recommendations to actual portfolio managers, which will be good practice.

Class 2 is a split class. The first half deals with mortgage-backed securities. Sounds lame, but it's actually very similar to my work as a pension actuary. It'd be so nice if I could parlay my actuarial career into my new career, and this might be just the right opportunity. (Yeah, didn't I just say a couple weeks ago that I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up? Well, I might want to be something else now. Shocker.) The second half deals with the Chicago exchanges, like the Board of Trade and the Merc. It should be really interesting (and little work).

Class 3 is Investment Banking and is taught by the professor I TA for. This is a very interesting class and will be helpful for me no matter what I do in finance. And, of course, if I want to sell my sould and become an Investment Banker, then it's a GREAT class for me.

Class 4 is an accounting class that I have to take. I was really dreading it, but it looks like it won't be too difficult. So hooray for me.

I guess the best part about taking these 4 classes is that I'll be wicked busy Mondays and Tuesdays, but I'll be completely free every other day of the week. I know it'll be nice to see The Wife more than once a week. That is, until she starts complaining about the lack of cleaning I do around the house.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?