Saturday, January 07, 2006

 

Hasidic Reggae Rap?

I just saw this post on Pitchfork under the worst albums of 2005:

Matisyahu
"Just your average Hasidic reggae rapper. Yeah, you heard me. This guy is a straight-up Hasidic Jew from New York who busts mad flow over dancehall and reggae beats. This is the future of music." --Sam Endicott, the Bravery in The Guardian

I have got to find this album somewhere.

Their review of R. Kelly's "Sex Weed" is equally great:
Some of your jaws are agape right now. An R. Kelly track on a worst-of-2005 list that's not "Trapped in the Closet"? But "Trapped in the Closet" was so spectacularly weird, and such a bizarre cultural oddity that, even if only as a curiosity, it was completely fascinating and engrossing. "Sex Weed"? Not so much. Stretching the metaphor to its breaking point and beyond, Kells sings, "Girl, you got that sex weed/ I just want to hit it all the time." Not only is this just dumb, but half of these supposed double-entendres are so desperately reaching, it frustrates to no end. "Just one look at you, I've got contact/ Can I get a pull of that/ Girl, your shit is the chronic/ 'Cause I can tell by the way you roll it up/ Make a playa wanna smoke it up." How is he gonna smoke it up? It doesn't even make sense!

Comments:
I saw this guy on VH1 the other day on their show So Jewtastic.. or something to that effect. This was after some of my students tried to convince me to come to Jewapalooza or something along those lines.
Anyway, that guy was featured on the show. If you find it, let me know.. I want to hear a copy.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?