Monday, January 09, 2006

 

First Day of Class

Today is my first day of class in what should be my very last semester in school. So far, so good. I've got a break now after my first class. It was quite an interesting class that focuses on investing. I won't bore you with any of the details on what I'm learning. But there are two interesting things about the class that you absolutely must know. (Yes, I'm starting to develop quite an ego after writing this blog for a month. You just have to know everything that's going on in my life. Anyway.)

One thing that makes the class interesting is that it's a mix of MBA and undergraduate students. What's even better is that the MBA students get to manage the undergrads on all sorts of investment things. I'm looking forward to that part. I haven't harangued anyone for absolutely no reason in quite sometime. "Smith, this report is in Arial font. You KNOW I'm allergic to Arial font. Change it to Times New Roman NOW!!!"

The other interesting thing is that one of the undergrads is actually a 40-something year-old student. And after just 2 hours, she's already proved that she's extremely annoying. In fact, it's quite possible that I'll be arrested for assaulting her at some point during the semester.

Apparently, she had a class with this professor last semester. And for some reason, she now feels as though she's best friends with the professor. Maybe she is. I don't know, nor do I care. What's annoying is that she seems to think that the rest of the class cares about her stupid comments. (And believe me, if there's ever an expert about people not caring about stupid comments, it's me with respect to my own comments.) Whenever the professor says something referring to the class, this woman has to make a "funny" comment that really isn't funny. It's one of those comments that people make under their breath. But she's doing it like it's a stage whisper, loud enough so that everyone can hear. I can only see this getting more annoying with every passing class.

(In fact, now that I think about it, she reminds me of David Brent, the manager of the BBC version of The Office. If you haven't seen it, he's a manager who tries to be funny but fails miserably every time. It just makes you squirm because you feel so bad for him. Henceforth, this lady will be referred to as Mrs. David Brent.)

Mrs. David Brent did another tremendously annoying thing today that almost caused a lynching. Next Monday is Martin Luther King Day. One of the joys of being back in school is that I get that day off. Within the first 5 minutes of class, Mrs. David Brent actually asked whether we could have a make-up class for the one we're missing on MLK Day. I just about fell out of my chair. I immediately raised my hand and asked that if instead of having another class, we could have a motion to have Mrs. David Brent permanently forbidden from speaking for the remainder of the semester. My motion was seconded very quickly and was enacted into law by the class before the professor could regain control and veto it. Jerk.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?