Thursday, January 05, 2006

 

Dropkick Murphy's - Live on St. Patrick's Day

As I'm trying to write a story about my recent trip to Joliet, I've got the Dropkick Murphy's "Live on St. Patrick's Day" album playing in the background. It's making it quite difficult to write because I find myself singing along way too much. So I figured I'd take a break from Joliet to write about what a great band the Murphy's are.

It's no secret that I like punk music and the Murphy's are certainly punk. But they're an odd form of punk. They're a bunch of self-proclaimed drunks from Boston who happen to have Irish heritage. I know, what a shocker. Someone from Boston is Irish? Never!

The Murphy's wear their Irish heritage on the foreheads. Literally. They have shamrocks tattooed on their foreheads in much the same way that Charlie Manson has a swastika on his. Okay, I made that part up, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

What makes the Murphy's truly unique as a punk band is that they have a bagpipe player. That really allows them to kick open the door as far as the type of music they can play. For example, their live album has numerous Irish drinking songs, some hardcore punk songs, a gospel song, and just about everything in between.

But what I love most about the Murphy's, which is extremely obvious on the Live album, is that they're having a lot of fun with the music. And so by extension, I have a lot of fun listening to it. It gets me pumped up and excited. It makes me want to bounce off the walls. It makes me want to get Luke out of his crib and start slam-dancing with him. Most of all, it makes me want to drink, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, if you haven't heard of the Murphy's, you might want to give them a listen. I give the Live album 5 stars (out of 5). I think it's BS to do that with a Live album since they're generally just Greatest Hits albums. And you can't give THOSE 5 stars. But I'm willing to make exceptions for the Dropkick Murphy's.

Comments:
"is that they're having a lot with the music"

Are they now? A lot with the music?
 
Yeah, so what. Apparently, I need an editor.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?