Tuesday, December 27, 2005

 

Mr. Optimistic: Grave Dancers Union

Grave Dancers Union by Soul Asylum

Grave Dancers Union is one of those rare albums that can truly stand the test of time, like the Beatles' Revolver or the Stones' Exile on Mainstreet or Hanson's Middle of Nowhere. From the very beginning, Soul Asylum gets your blood pumping with the teen-angst-themed "Somebody to Shove." While I don't agree with shoving people, I certainly understand the point behind the song. It's a reflection of man's desire to shove things. It works as a concept and it works in reality!

"Black Gold" was the bands major single off this album, and it's easy to see why. It's got a great guitar hook. You can hear the drums clearly. The singer sings intelligibly. What's not to love? I can't think of a thing.

The album really takes off from there. Songs like "Runaway Train" really make me wish I was on one when I'm listening to this album. After listening to the perfectly written songs being turned into such wonderfully performed dirges for alternative youth, I don't want to go on living. I've hit my zenith as a listener.

Grave Dancers Union successfully keeps the tempo mixed throughout the album. Slowing it down to a crawl on a few songs so that you can really appreciate every tune plucked on the accoustic guitar and the (fortunately) incessant whiny singing. When the album ends with "The Sun Maid," I'm just physically and emotionally spent. Soul Asylum really knows what it takes to put together a top-notch album that will surely last the test of time. I can see nothing but hit album after hit album for these songsters!

Comments:
Mr. Optomistic rocks! Hopefully he hijacks this site from the bear market Dow.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?