Thursday, December 01, 2005

 

Me Likey Music!

Okay, I really need to write a book report for my Negotiations class right now, but I don't much feel like reading right now. So I'm chillling out in a computer lab on campus and I'm listening to my iPod. (It's not actually an iPod, but I don't feel like going into that right now.) My point is that I'm moderately obsessed about music. And I love my iPod! In fact, I think the iPod fuels my obsession.

I distinctly remember getting my first tape ("Born in the USA"), first 45 (David Lee Roth's "California Girls"), and my first CDs (Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and INXS "Welcome to Wherever You Are).

Ever since I was a kid though, I was mildly obsessed with "completing my collection." If I liked an artist, I had to have every one of his albums. This was no easy task 20 years ago when all I could do is ride my bike to the local Venture (it was basically a Kmart without all the fanciness) and browse their meager selections.

It's amusing to see where my tastes have flowed over the years. I've always like rock music. In fact my first "favorite song" was Billy Joel's "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me." Okay, so that's not really "rock," but at least I had the right theme song.

As far as I can remember, here's how things have changed for me:

Pre-junior high
: Billy Joel, Footloose Soundtrack. (That Kenny Loggins sure could crank out the hits back then. "Footloose" and the theme to Caddyshack ("I'm Alright")!)

Junior high
: Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Bon Jovi (I'm ashamed to even admit this), Cinderella, Motley Crue, Poison, Dio, Ozzy Osbourne. Yep, these were my "metal years."

High School
: Black Crowes, Van Halen (still), Led Zeppelin (still), Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and I just started getting into the Ramones

College
: I even remember the ORDER of how things changed for me. First came Sugar, which led me to Green Day (thank you, alt.music.org), then the Pixies (which are still one of my all-time favorites), then back to Husker Du. Eventually, I got into White Zombie and Nine Inch Nails, but that didn't last long.

Post-College: This is when I really started getting into music. I was an email list related to Sugar and Husker Du and followed the advice of many of the members there. That exposed me to Superchunk (Top 10 for me now), Sleater-Kinney (Top 5), Archers of Loaf (Top 5), and Dropkick Murphy's (Top 10), among others.

Wow, this post got longer than I thought. I'll have to post later about my current obsessions and how the iPod transformed my life. Well, at least my musical life.

Comments:
I'm not a big fan of Crooked Fingers or Portastic. Superchunk has really disappointed me lately. They nose-dived for no apparent reason. It's like they got a new producer who said, "What we need here is for you to sound more like crap."

I'm indifferent on Death Cab. I'm not a huge fan, but they are growing on me. I haven't heard of the other bands, but I'll give them a listen soon. Thanks for the heads up.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?